Offered at select H-D® dealers, the New Rider Course provides you with 25 hours of expert guidance from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Instructors.
- In the classroom, you'll get to know the motorcycle you'll be riding and learn the basics of rider safety skills.
- On the practice range, you'll learn braking and turning, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
When you finish the course, you'll get a MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card. Depending on your individual state this card may exempt you from having to take the riding portion of your motorcycle license test.
The card may also score you a discount on motorcycle insurance. Ask your H-D® dealer and insurance provider for details.
For the New Rider Course, you'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
For the riding portion, the H-D® dealer will provide you with a motorcycle suited for the course. You'll have to bring:
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements